Cullman County Historical Society
The mission of the Cullman County Historical Society is to make the
citizenry of Cullman County aware of its heritage and to preserve as much of
that heritage as possible.
Christmas Historic Home Tour
Information on Historic Districts in Cullman:
There are three historic districts in Cullman City; two of which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places in Washington, DC.
The historic District of "Die Deutsche Kolonie Von Nord Alabama" (The German Colony of North Alabama) consists of 27 blocks containing 135 buildings, dating from the mid-1870’s. This district lies south of 278E and consists of 27 blocks containing 135 buildings representing various types of architecture including Queen Anne, Eastlake, High Victorian Italianate, Italianate Romanesque Revival, Georgia Revival, Colonial Revival, Classical Revival to name a few. The area, marked with National Historic District street signs, lies east of the sunken Louisville and Nashville Railway tracks and southeast of the Downtown Commercial Historic District, which is also listed on the National Register.
The Cullman Historic Business District consists of First and Second Ave., NE and SE. This business district consists of 58 structures. St. Johns Church, Second Avenue, the first church in Cullman City, is a beautiful representative of the many historic churches in the town.
The Betz Addition Historic District, also known as “Quality Hill,” was
named for the first mayor of Cullman. This District is listed on the Alabama
Register of Historic Sites. Composed of 72 residential structures dating from
the late 1800’s, the district covers approximately 12 blocks located
at the northeast corner of the Downtown Commercial Historic District and north
of the "Die Deutsche Kolonie Von Nord Alabama” and Hwy. 278E.